淘宝充值
搜索
查看: 7035|回复: 0

2005年12月24日大学英语六级考试试卷及标准答案

[复制链接]
tianshanyunhai 发表于 2005-12-26 13:43:11 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
2005年12月大学英语六级听力原文
  Section A

1. M: The Dean just announced that Dr. Holden's going I'll miss you guys while I'm working here in the library.

W:I knew it all along! He's the obvious choice. All the other candidates are no match for him!

Q: what do we learn about the two speakers?

2.W: Hey, let me know how your summer's going! I'll miss you guys while I'm working here in the library.

M: I'll be working, too! But I'll send you an email or call you once in a while.

When we all get back to school, we can have a party or something.

Q: what do we learn about the two speakers?

3.W: I know it's the end of the season, but those peaches are such a bargain that I couldn't help buying them! Have one please!

M: Thank you! Actually, they seem pass their prime.#

Q: What do we learn from the conversation?

4. M: The assignment on physics is a real challenge. I don't think I can finish it on time or by myself.

W: Why don't we join our feet together? It may be easier then.

Q: What does the woman suggest?

5.M: Jean really lost her temper in Dr.Brown's class this morning.

W: Oh? Did she? But I think her frankness is really something to be appreciated.

Q: What does the woman mean?

6.W: We heard that when you are a kid, you submitted a story to Reader's Digest.

M: Well, I don't remember this story exactly, but my idea of a great time then was a pad of lined paper and a new blue pen. I thought myself as a Reader’s Digest member at the age of six.

Q: What do we learn about the man from the conversation?

7. M: Your son certainly shows a lot of enthusiasm on the tennis cournt.

W: I only wish he’d show as much for his studies.

Q: What does the woman imply about her son?

8. W: We suppose to meet John here at the railway station.

M: That’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Q: What does the man imply?

9.M: Professor Stevenson, as an economist, how do you look upon the surging Chinese economy? Does it constitute a threat to the rest of the world?

W: I believe China’s economic success should be seen more as an opportunity than a threat. Those who looked upon it as a threat overlooked the benefit of china’s growth to the world’s economy. They also lack the understanding of elementary economics.

Q: What does Professor Stevenson think of China’s economy?

10. W: Our school has just built some new apartment near campus, but one bedroom runs for 500 dollars a month.

M: That’s a bit beyond the reach of most students!

Q: What does the man mean?

Section B

Passage One

I had flown from San Francisco to Virginia to attend a conference on multiculturalism. Hundreds of educators from across the country were meeting to discuss the need for greater cultural diversity in the school curriculum. I took a taxi to my hotel. On the way, my driver and I chatted about the whether and the tourists. The driver was a White man in forties. ‘How long have you been in this country?’ he asked. ‘All my life!’ I replied, ‘I was born in the United States.’ With strong southern accent, he remarked, ‘I was wondering because your English is excellent.’ Then I explained as I had done many times before, ‘My grandfather came here from China in the 1880s. My family has been here in America for ever a hundred years.’ He glanced at me in the mirror. Somehow, I didn’t look American to him. My appearance looked foreign. Questions liked the one my taxi driver asked make me feel uncomfortable. But I can understand why he could not see me as an American. He had a narrow but widely shared sense of the past: a history that has viewed Americans as descendants of Europeans. Race has functioned as something necessary to the construction of American character and quality in the creation of our national identity?American has been defined as ‘white’. But American has been racially diverse since our very beginning on the Virginia shore, where the first group of Englishmen and Africans arrived in the 17th century. And this reality is increasingly become visible everywhere.

11.What was the theme of the conference the speaker was to attend?

12.Why did the taxi driver ask the speaker how long he has been in the US?

13.What message did the speaker wish to convey?

Passage Two

Laws have been written to govern the use of American National Flag, and to ensure proper respect for the flag. Custom has also governed the common practice in regard to its use. All the armed services have precise regulations on how to display the national flag. This may vary somewhat from the general rules. The national flag should be raised and lowered by hand. Do not raise the flag while it is folded. Unfold the flag first, and then hoist it quickly to the top of the flagpole. Lower it slowly and with dignity. Place no objects on or over the flag. Do not use the flag as part of a costume or athletic uniform. Do not print it upon cushions, handkerchiefs, paper napkins or boxes. A federal law provides that the trademark cannot be registered if it comprises the flag, or badgers of the US, When the flag is used to unveil a statue or monument, it shouldn’t serve as a covering of the object to be unveiled. If it is displayed on such occasions, do not allow the flag to fall to the ground, but let it be carried high up in the air to form a feature of the ceremony. Take every precaution to prevent the flag from soiled. It should not be allowed to touch the ground or floor, nor to brush against objects.

14.How do Americans ensure proper respect for the national flag?

15.What is the regulation regarding the raising of the American National Flag?

16. How should the American National Flag be displayed at an unveiling ceremony?

17.What do we learn about the use of the American National Flag?

Passage Three

In some large American city schools, as many as 20-40% of the students are absent each day. There are two major reasons for such absences: one is sickness, and the other is truancy. That is staying away from school without permission. Since school officials can’t do much about the illness, they are concentrating on reducing the number of truancy. One of the most promising schemes has been tried in Florida. The pupils there with good attendance have been given free hamburgers, toys and T-shirts. Classes are told if they show improved rates of attendance, they can win additional gifts. At the same time, teachers are encouraged to inspire their students to come to school regularly. When those teachers are successful, they are also rewarded. “we’ve been punishing truancy for years, but that hasn’t brought them back to school,” One school principal said. Now we are trying the positive approach. Not only do you learn by showing up every day, but you earn. In San Francisco, the board of education has had a somewhat similar idea. Schools that show a decrease in deliberate destruction of property can receive the amount of money that would be spent on repairs and replacements. For example, 12,000 dollars had been set aside for a school’s property damages every year. Since repair expenses of damaged property required only 4,000 dollars, the remaining 8,000 dollars was turned over to the student activity fund. “Our democracy operates on hope and encouragement,” said the school board member. “Why not provide some positive goals for students and teachers to aim at?”

18 which reason for students’ absences is discussed in great detail?

19 who will benefit from the scheme being tried in Florida?

20 what measure has been taken in San Francisco to reduce the destruction of school property?

A卷:
  Part I Listening Comprehension (20 minutes)

Section A

1.A) The dean should have consulted her on the appointment.

B) Dr. Holden should have taken over the position earlier.

C) She doesn’t think Dr. Holden has made a wise choice.

D) Dr. Holden is the best person for the chairmanship.

2 .A) They’ll keep in touch during the summer vacation

B) They’ll hold a party before the summer vacation

C) They’ll do odd jobs together at the school library

D) They’ll get back to their school once in a while

3. A)Peaches are in season now.

B)Peaches are not at their best now.

C)The woman didn’t know how to bargain.

D)The woman helped the man choose the fruit.

4.A)They join the physics club.

B)They ask for an extension of the deadline.

C)They work on the assignment together.

D)They choose an easier assignment.

5.A)She admires Jean’s straightforwardness

B)She thinks Dr. Brown deserves the praise

C)She will talk to Jean about what happened

D)She believes Jean was rude to Dr. Brown

6.A)He liked writing when he was a child

B)He enjoyed reading stories in Reader’s Digest

C)He used to be an editor of Reader’s Digest

D)He became well known at the age of six

7.A)He shows great enthusiasm for his studies

B)He is a very versatile person

C)He has no talent for tennis

D)He does not study hard enough

8 A) John has lost something at the railway station

B) There are several railway stations in the city

C) It will be very difficult for them to find John

D) The train that John is taking will arrive soon

9. A)Its rapid growth is beneficial to the world

B)It can be seen as a model by the rest of the world

C)Its success can’t be explained by elementary economics

D)It will continue to surge forward

10.A)It takes only 5 minutes to reach the campus from the apartments

B)Most students can’t afford to live in the new apartments

C)The new apartments are not available until next month

D)The new apartments can accommodate 500 students

Section B

11.A)The role of immigrants in the construction of American society

B)The importance of offering diverse courses in European history

C)The need for greater cultural diversity in the school curriculum

D)The historic landing of Europeans on the Virginia shore

12.A)He was wondering if the speaker was used to living in America

B)He was trying to show friendliness to the speaker

C)He wanted to keep their conversation going

D)He believed the speaker was a foreigner

13.A)The US population doesn’t consist of white European descendants only

B)Asian tourists can speak English as well as native speakers of the language

C)Colored people are not welcome in the United States

D)Americans are in need of education in their history

14.A)By making laws

B)By enforcing discipline

C)By educating the public

D)By holding ceremonies

15.A)It should be raised by soldiers

B)It should be raised quickly by hand

C)It should be raised only by Americans

D)It should be raised by mechanical means

16.A)It should be attached to the status

B)It should be hung from the top of the monument

C)It should be spread over the object to be unveiled

D)It should be carried high up in the air

17.A)There has been a lot of controversy over the use of flag

B)The best athletes can wear uniforms with the design of the flag

C)There are precise regulations and customs to be followed

D)Americans can print the flag on their cushions or handkerchiefs

Passage Three

18.A)Punishment by teachers

B)Poor academic performance

C)Truancy

D)Illness

19.A)The Board of Education

B)Principals of city schools

C)Students with good academic records

D)Students with good attendance records

20 . A) Punishing students who damage school property

B) Rewarding schools that have decreased the destruction

C) Promoting teachers who can prevent the destruction

D) Cutting the budget for repairs and replacements

Part II Reading Comprehension (35 minutes)

Questions 21 to 25 are based on the following passage.

Passage one

Too many vulnerable child-free adults are being ruthlessly(无情的)manipulated into parent-hood by their parents , who think that happiness among older people depends on having a grand-child to spoil. We need an organization to help beat down the persistent campaigns of grandchildless parents. It’s time to establish Planned Grandparenthood, which would have many global and local benefits.

Part of its mission would be to promote the risks and realities associated with being a grandparent. The staff would include depressed grandparents who would explain how grandkids break lamps, bite, scream and kick. Others would detail how an hour of baby-sitting often turns into a crying marathon. More grandparents would testify that they had to pay for their grandchild’s expensive college education.

Planned grandparenthood’s carefully written literature would detail all the joys of life grand-child-free a calm living room, extra money for luxuries during the golden years, etc. Potential grandparents would be reminded that, without grandchildren around, it’s possible to have a conversation with your kids, who----incidentally-----would have more time for their own parents .

Meanwhile, most children are vulnerable to the enormous influence exerted by grandchildless parents aiming to persuade their kids to produce children . They will take a call from a persistent parent, even if they’re loaded with works. In addition, some parents make handsome money offers payable upon the grandchild’s birth. Sometimes these gifts not only cover expenses associated with the infant’s birth, but extras, too, like a vacation. In any case, cash gifts can weaken the resolve of even the noblest person.

At Planned Grandparenthood, children targeted by their parents to reproduce could obtain non-biased information about the insanity of having their own kids. The catastrophic psychological and economic costs of childbearing would be emphasized. The symptoms of morning sickness would be listed and horrors of childbirth pictured. A monthly newsletter would contain stories about overwhelmed parents and offer guidance on how childless adults can respond to the different lobbying tactics that would-be grandparents employ.

When I think about all the problems of our overpopulated world and look at our boy grabbing at the lamp by the sofa, I wish I could have turned to Planned Grandparenthood when my parents were putting the grandchild squeeze on me.

If I could have, I might not be in this parenthood predicament( 窘境) . But here’s the crazy irony, I don’t want my child-free life back . Dylan’s too much fun.

21. What’s the purpose of the proposed organization Planned Grandparenthood?

A) To encourage childless couples to have children.

B) To provide facilities and services for grandchildless parents.

C) To offer counseling to people on how to raise grandchildren.

D) To discourage people from insisting on having grandchildren.

22. Planned Grandparenthood would include depressed grandparents on its staff in order to____.

A) show them the joys of life grandparents may have in raising grandchildren

B) draw attention to the troubles and difficulties grandchildren may cause

C) share their experience in raising grandchildren in a more scientific way

D) help raise funds to cover the high expense of education for grandchildren

23. According to the passage, some couples may eventually choose to have children because_____.

A) they find it hard to resist the carrot-and-stick approach of their parents

B) they have learn from other parents about the joys of having children

C) they feel more and more lonely ad they grow older

D) they have found it irrational to remain childless

24.By saying “… my parents were putting the grandchild squeeze on me” (Line 2-3,Para. 6), the author means that _________.

A) her parents kept pressuring her to have a child

B) her parents liked to have a grandchild in their arms

C) her parents asked her to save for the expenses of raising a child

D) her parents kept blaming her for her child’s bad behavior

25.What does the author really of the idea of having children?

A) It does more harm than good.

B) It contributes to overpopulation.

C) It is troublesome but rewarding.

D) It is a psychological catastrophe

Passage Two

Questions 26 to 30 are based on the following passage.

Ask most people how they define the American Dream and chances are they’ll say, “Success.” The dream of individual opportunity has been home in American since Europeans discovered a “new world” in the Western Hemisphere. Early immigrants like Hector St. Jean de Crevecoeur praised highly the freedom and opportunity to be found in this new land. His glowing descriptions of a classless society where anyone could attain success through honesty and hard work fired the imaginations of many European readers: in Letters from an American Farmer (1782) he wrote. “We are all excited at the spirit of an industry which is unfettered (无拘无束的) and unrestrained, because each person works for himself … We have no princes, for whom we toil (干苦力活),starve, and bleed: we are the most perfect society now existing in the world.” The promise of a land where “the rewards of a man’s industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labor” drew poor immigrants from Europe and fueled national expansion into the western territories.

Our national mythology (神化) is full of illustration the American success story. There’s Benjamin Franklin, the very model of the self-educated, self-made man, who rose from modest origins to become a well-known scientist, philosopher, and statesman. In the nineteenth century, Horatio Alger, a writer of fiction for young boys, became American’s best-selling author with rags-to-riches tales. The notion of success haunts us: we spend million every year reading about the rich and famous, learning how to “make a fortune in real estate with no money down,” and “dressing for success.” The myth of success has even invaded our personal relationships: today it’s as important to be “successful” in marriage or parenthoods as it is to come out on top in business.

But dreams easily turn into nightmares. Every American who hopes to “make it” also knows the fear of failure, because the myth of success inevitably implies comparison between the haves and the have-nots, the stars and the anonymous crowd. Under pressure of the myth, we become indulged in status symbols: we try to live in the “right” neighborhoods, wear the “right” clothes, eat the “right” foods. These symbols of distinction assure us and others that we believe strongly in the fundamental equality of all, yet strive as hard as we can to separate ourselves from our fellow citizens.

26. What is the essence of the American Dream according to Crevecoeur?

A) People are free to develop their power of imagination.

B) People who are honest and work hard can succeed.

C) People are free from exploitation and oppression.

D) People can fully enjoy individual freedom.

27.By saying “the rewards of a man’s industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labor” (Line 10, Para. 1), the author means __________ .

A) the more diligent one is, the bigger his returns

B) laborious work ensures the growth of an industry

C) a man’s business should be developed step by step

D) a company’s success depends on its employees’ hard work

28. The characters described in Horatio Alger’s novels are people who _______.

A) succeed in real estate investment

B) earned enormous fortunes by chances

C) became wealthy after starting life very poor

D) became famous despite their modest origins

29. It can be inferred from the last sentence of the second paragraph that _________.

A) business success often contributes to a successful marriage

B) Americans wish to succeed in every aspect of life

C) good personal relationships lead to business success

D) successful business people provide good care for their children

30. What is the paradox of American culture according to the author?

A) The American road to success is full of nightmares.

B) Status symbols are not a real indicator of a person’s wealth.

C) The American Dream is nothing but an empty dream.

D) What Americans strive after often contradicts their beliefs.

Passage Three

Questions 31 to 35 are based on the following passage.

Public distrust of scientists stems in part from the blurring of boundaries between science and technology, between discovery and manufacture. Most government, perhaps all governments, justify public expenditure on scientific research in terms of the economic benefits the scientific enterprise ha brought in the past and will bring in the future. Politicians remind their voters of the splendid machines ‘our scientists’ have invented, the new drugs to relieve old ailments (病痛), and the new surgical equipment and techniques by which previously intractable (难治疗的) conditions may now be treated and lives saved. At the same time, the politicians demand of scientists that they tailor their research to ‘economics needs’, that they award a higher priority to research proposals that are ‘near the market’ and can be translated into the greatest return on investment in the shortest time. Dependent, as they are, on politicians for much of their funding, scientists have little choice but to comply. Like the rest of us, they are members of a society that rates the creation of wealth as the greatest possible good. Many have reservations, but keep them to themselves in what they perceive as a climate hostile to the pursuit of understanding for its own sake and the idea of an inquiring, creative spirit.

In such circumstances no one should be too hard on people who are suspicious of conflicts of interest. When we learn that the distinguished professor assuring us of the safety of a particular product holds a consultancy with the company making it, we cannot be blamed for wondering whether his fee might conceivably cloud his professional judgment. Even if the professor holds no consultancy with any firm, some people many still distrust him because of his association with those who do, or at least wonder about the source of some his research funding.

This attitude can have damaging effects. It questions the integrity of individuals working in a profession that prizes intellectual honesty as the supreme virtue, and plays into the hands of those who would like to discredit scientists by representing then a venal (可以收买的). This makes it easier to dismiss all scientific pronouncements, but especially those made by the scientists who present themselves as ‘experts’. The scientist most likely to understand the safety of a nuclear reactor, for example, is a nuclear engineer declares that a reactor is unsafe, we believe him, because clearly it is not to his advantage to lie about it. If he tells us it is safe, on the other hand, we distrust him, because he may well be protecting the employer who pays his salary.

31. What is the chief concern of most governments when it comes to scientific research?

A) Support from the votes.

B) The reduction of public expenditure.

C) Quick economics returns.

D) The budget for a research project.

32. Scientist have to adapt their research to ‘economic needs’ in order to _________ .

A) impress the public with their achievements

B) pursue knowledge for knowledge’s sake

C) obtain funding from the government

D) translate knowledge into wealth

33. Why won’t scientists complain about the government’s policy concerning scientific research?

A) They think they work in an environment hostile to the free pursuit of knowledge.

B) They are accustomed to keeping their opinions to themselves.

C) They know it takes patience to win support from the public.

D) They think compliance with government policy is in the interests of the public.

34. According to the author, people are suspicious of the professional judgment of scientists because ___________ .

A) their pronouncements often turn out to be wrong

B) sometimes they hide the source of their research funding

C) some of them do not give priority to intellectual honesty

D) they could be influenced by their association with the project concerned

35. Why does the author say that public distrust of scientists can have damaging effects?

A) It makes things difficult for scientists seeking research funds.

B) People would not believe scientists even when they tell the truth.

C) It may dampen the enthusiasm of scientists for independent research.

D) Scientists themselves may doubt the value of their research findings.

Passage Four

Questions 36 to 40 are based on the following passage.

In many ways, today’s business environment has changed qualitatively since the late 1980s. The end of the Cold War radically altered the very nature of the world’s politics and economics. In just a few short years, globalization has started a variety of trends with profound consequences: the opening of markets, true global competition, widespread deregulation (解除政府对……的控制) of industry, and an abundance of accessible capital. We have experienced both the benefits and risks of a truly global economy, with both Wall Street and Main Street (平民百姓) feeling the pains of economic disorder half a world away.

At the same time, we have fully entered the Information Age, Starting breakthroughs in information technology have irreversibly altered the ability to conduct business unconstrained by the traditional limitations of time or space. Today, it’s almost impossible to imagine a world without intranets, e-mail, and portable computers. With stunning speed, the Internet is profoundly changing the way we work, shop, do business, and communicate.

As a consequence, we have truly entered the Post-Industrial economy. We are rapidly shifting from an economy based on manufacturing and commodities to one that places the greatest value on information, services, support, and distribution. That shift, in turn, place an unprecedented premium on “knowledge workers,” a new class of wealthy, educated, and mobile people who view themselves as free agents in a seller’s market.

Beyond the realm of information technology, the accelerated pace of technological change in virtually every industry has created entirely new business, wiped out others, and produced a Pervasive( 广泛的) demand for continuous innovation. New product, process ,and distribution technologies provide powerful levers for creating competitive value. More companies are learning the importance of destructive technologies-----innovations that hold the potential to make a product line, or even an entire business segment, virtually outdated.

Another major trend has been the fragmentation of consumer and business markets. There’s a growing appreciation that superficially similar groups of customers may have very different preferences in terms of what they want to buy and how they want to buy it. Now, new technology makes it easier, faster ,and cheaper to identify and serve targeted micro-markets in ways that were physically impossible or prohibitively expensive in the past. Moreover, the trend feeds on itself, a business’s ability to serve sub-markets fuels customers’ appetites for more and more specialized offerings.

36. According to the first paragraph, the chances in the business environment in the past decades can be attributed to __________.

A) technological advances

B) worldwide economic disorder

C) the fierce competition in industry

D) the globalization of economy

37. what idea does the author want to convey in the second paragraph ?

A) The rapid development of information technology has taken businessmen by surprise

B) Information technology has removed the restrictions of time and space in business transactions

C) The Internet, intranets, e-mail, and portable computers have penetrated every corner of the world.

D) The way we do business today has brought about startling breakthroughs in information technology.

38. If a business wants to thrive in the Post-Industrial economy__________

A) it has to invest more capital in the training of free agents to operate in a seller’s market

B) it should try its best to satisfy the increasing demands of mobile knowledgeable people

C) it should not overlook the importance of information, services, support, and distribution

D) it has to provide each of its employees with the latest information about the changing market

39. In the author’s view, destructive technologies are innovations which _________

A) can eliminate an entire business segment

B) demand a radical change in providing services

C) may destroy the potential of a company to make any profit

D) call for continuous improvement in ways of doing business

40. With the fragmentation of consumer and business markets ______________

A) an increasing number of companies have disintegrated

B) manufacturers must focus on one special product to remain competitive in the market

C) it is physically impossible and prohibitively expensive to do business in the old way

D) businesses have to meet individual customers’ specific needs in order to succeed .

Part III Vocabulary (20minutes)

41. It seems somewhat ___________ to expect anyone to drive 3 hours just for a 20-minute meeting.

A) eccentric B) impossible C) absurd D) unique

42. This area of the park has been specially __________ for children, but accompanying adults are also welcome.

A) inaugurated B) designated C) entitled D) delegated

43. The girl’s face __________ with embarrassment during the interview when she couldn’t answer the tough question.

A) beamed B) dazzled C) radiated D) flushed

44. Slavery was __________ in Canada in 1833, and Canadian authorities encouraged the slaves, who escaped from America, to settle on its vast virgin land

A) diluted B) dissipated C) abolished D) resigned

45. Unfortunately, the new edition of dictionary is __________ in all major bookshops.

A) out of reach B) out of stock C) out of business D) out of season

46. The hands on my alarm clock are __________, so I can see what time it is in the dark.

A) exotic B) gorgeous C) luminous D) spectacular

47. Psychologists have done extensive studies on how well patients __________ with doctors’ orders.

A) comply B) correspond C) interfere D) interact

48. In today’s class, the students were asked to __their mistakes on the exam paper and put in their possible corrections.

A) cancel B) omit C)extinguish D)erase

49. The Government’s policies will come under close __ in the weeks before the election.

A) appreciation B) specification C)scrutiny D)apprehension

50. Police and villagers unanimously __the forest fire to thunder and lightning.

A) ascribed B) approached C)confirmed D)confined

51. In some remote places there are still very poor people who can’t afford to live in __conditions.

A) gracious B) decent C)honorable D)positive

52. Since our knowledge is __ none of us can exclude the possibility of being wrong.

A) controlled B )restrained C)finite D)delicate

53. You shouldn’t __your father’s instructions. Anyway he is an experienced teacher.

A) deduce B) deliberate C)defy  D)denounce

54. The company management attempted to __information that was not favorable to them, but it was all in vain.

A) suppress B) supplement C)concentrate D)plug

55. It is my hope that everyone in this class should __ their errors before it is too late.

A) refute B) exclude C)expel D)rectify

56. The boy’s foolish question __his mother who was busy with housework and had no interest in talking.

A) intrigued B) fascinated C) irritated D)stimulated

57. Millions of people around the world have some type of physical, mental, or emotional __ that severely limits their abilities to manage their daily activities.

A) scandal B) misfortune C)deficit D)handicap

58. It is believed that the feeding patterns parents __ on their children can determine their adolescent and adult eating habits.

A) compel B) impose C)evoke  D)necessitate

59.If the value-added tax were done away with, it would act as a __ to consumption.

A) progression B) prime C)stability D)stimulus

60. The bride and groom promised to __ each other through sickness and health.

A) nourish B) nominate C)roster D)cherish

61. They’re going to build a big office block on that __ piece of land.

A) void B) vacant C)blank D)shallow

62. Without any hesitation, she took off her shoes, __up her skirt and splashed across the stream.

A) tucked B) revolved C)twisted D)curled

63.Very few people could understand his lecture because the subject was very __.

A) faint B) obscure C)gloomy D)indefinite

64. Professor Smith explained the movement of light__ that of water.

A) by analogy with B) by virtue of C)in line with D)in terms of

65. Tom is bankrupt now. He is desperate because all his efforts __ failure.

A) tumbled to B) hinged upon C)inflicted on D)culminated in

66. While fashion is thought of usually __ clothing, it is important to realize that it covers a much wider domain.

A) in relation to B) in proportion to C)by means of D)on behalf of

67. The meaning of the sentence is __; you can interpret it in several ways.

A) skeptical B) intelligible C)ambiguous D)exclusive

68. Cancer is a group of diseases in which there is uncontrolled and disordered growth of __ cells.

A) irrelevant B) inferior C)controversial D)abnormal

69.At that time, the economy was still undergoing a __and job offers were hard to get.

A) concession B) supervision C)recession D)deviation

70.I could hear nothing but the roar of the airplane engines which __all other sounds.

A) overturned B) drowned C)deafened D)smoothed

Part IV Error Correction (15 minutes)

Every week hundreds of CVs(简历) land on our desks.

We’ve seen it all: CVs printed on pink paper, CVs that are 10

pages long and CVs with silly mistakes in first paragraph. A S1 _____________

good CV is your passport to an interview and ,ultimate , to S2______________

the job you want Initial impressions are vital, and a badly presented CV

could mean acceptance, regardless of what’s in it. S3______________

Here are a few ways to avoid end up on the reject pile. S4______________

Print your CV on good-quality white paper.

CVs with flowery backgrounds or pink paper will

stand out upon all the wrong reasons S5_______________

Get someone to check for spelling and grammatical

errors, because a spell-checker will pick up every S6_______________

mistake. CVs with errors will be rejected-it shows

that you don’t pay attention to detail.

Restrict your self to one or two pages, and

listing any publications or referees on a separate sheet. S7_______________

If you are sending your CV electronically, check the

formatting by sending it to yourself first. keep up S8______________

the format simple.

Do not send a photo unless specifically requested. If

you have to send on ,make sure it is one taking in a S9_____________

professional setting, rather than a holiday snap.

Getting the presentation right is just the first step. What

about the content? The Rule here is to keep it factual and

Truthful-exaggerations usually get find out. And remember S10____________

to tailor your CV to each different job.

Part V Writing (30minutes)

Direction For this part ,you are allowed 30 minutes to write a letter to a company declining a job offer, You should write at least 150 words following the outline given below

1、对公司提供职位表示感谢

2、解释为何不能接受所提供的职位

3、希望给与谅解,并表达对公司的良好祝愿

A Letter Declining a Job Offer

A卷答案:
  Part I Listening Comprehension(20 minutes)

Section A

1. D) Dr. Holden is the best person for the chairmanship.

2. A) They’ll keep in touch during the summer vacation

3. B) Peaches are not at their best now.

4. C) They work on the assignment together.

5. A) She admires Jean’s straightforwardness

6. A) He liked writing when he was a child

7. D) He does not study hard enough

8. C) It will be very difficult for them to find John

9. A) Its rapid growth is beneficial to the world

10. B) Most students can’t afford to live in the new apartments

Section B

Passage One

11. C) The need for greater cultural diversity in the school curriculum

12. D) He believed the speaker was a foreigner

13. A) The US population doesn’t consist of white European descendants only

Passage Two

14. A) By making laws

15. B) It should be raised quickly by hand

16. D) It should be carried high up in the air

17. C) There are precise regulations and customs to be followed

Passage Three

18. C) Truancy

19. D) Students with good attendance records

20. B) Rewarding schools that have decreased the destruction

Passage one

21. D) To discourage people from insisting on having grandchildren.

22. B) draw attention to the troubles and difficulties grandchildren may cause

23. A) they find it hard to resist the carrot-and-stick approach of their parents

24. A) her parents kept pressuring her to have a child

25. C) It is troublesome but rewarding.

Passage Two

26. D) People can fully enjoy individual freedom.

27. A) the more diligent one is, the bigger his returns

28. C) became wealthy after starting life very poor

29. B) Americans wish to succeed in every aspect of life

30. D) What Americans strive after often contradicts their beliefs.

Passage Three

31. B) The reduction of public expenditure.

32. C) obtain funding from the government

33. A) They think they work in an environment hostile to the free pursuit of knowledge.

34. D) they could be influenced by their association with the project concerned

35. B) People would not believe scientists even when they tell the truth.

Passage Four

36. D) the globalization of economy

37. B) Information technology has removed the restrictions of time and space in business transactions

38. C) it should not overlook the importance of information, services, support, and distribution

39. A) can eliminate an entire business segment

40. D) businesses have to meet individual customers’ specific needs in order to succeed

Part III Vocabulary (20 minutes)

41. C) absurd

42. C) entitled

43. D) flushed

44. C) abolished

45. B) out of stock

46. C) luminous

47. A) comply

48. D) erase

49. C) scrutiny

50. A) ascribed

51. B) decent

52. C) finite

53. C) defy

54. A) suppress

55. D) rectify

56. C) irritated

57. C) deficit

58. B) impose

59. D) stimulus

60. D) cherish

61. C) blank

62. A) tucked

63. B) obscure

64. A) by analogy

65. B) hinged upon

66. C) by means of

67. D) exclusive

68. D) abnormal

69. C) recession

70. C) deafened

S1. in first 改 in the first

S2.ultimate 改ultimately

S3. acceptance 改unacceptance

S4.avoid end 改 ending

S5.stand out 改 upon

S6.pick up改 pick out

S7.listing改 list

S8.keep up改 keep

S9.taking 改 taken

S10.get find改 get found

Direction For this part ,you are allowed 30 minutes to write a letter to a company declining a job offer, You should write at least 150 words following the outline given below

1、对公司提供职位表示感谢

2、解释为何不能接受所提供的职位

3、希望给与谅解,并表达对公司的良好祝愿

范文

A letter Declining a Job Offer

Dec. 24th

Dear Managers,

I am very grateful for you to give me another job in the company. Thinking about the good opportunity you offer to me each time, I am really moved. What words should I say? It seems that words on this special occasion fail to express me. All in all, I just want to say "many many thanks for all your kindness and consideration."

However , I can not accept the job you offer to me. I think, there are at least three personal reasons for this. First, I can not make full use of my major which I learned at college, though you pay much attention to me. Second, I have a habit to challenge myself . If a job or learning seems to lose the meaning of challenge, I will have to quit and find a challenging one for me. Third, I am not used to working in the same place for a long time. I want to have more working experiences and know a lot of different people. Therefore, I can not accept your offer .

Above all, I also want to express my deep appreciation of your understanding of my decision. I think there are other qualified personnel in our company who you should give a chance. If each potential employee in our company can have a chance to prove themselves for our company, I think, the company will become a more and more competitive company and will become more and more popular because of our smart strategy in employing qualified workers. I wish the bright future for our company.

Best wishes for you all !

Yours sincerely,

Tom

B卷:
  Part I Listening Comprehension (20 minutes)

Section A

1. A) Dr. Holden should have taken over the position earlier.

B) She doesn’t think Dr. Holden has made a wise choice.

C) Dr. Holden is the best person for the chairmanship.

D) The dean should have consulted her on the appointment.

2 .A) They’ll get back to their school once in a while

B) They’ll hold a party before the summer vacation

C) They’ll do odd jobs together at the school library

D) They’ll keep in touch during the summer vacation

3 A) The woman didn’t know how to bargain.

B) Peaches are in season now.

C) Peaches are not at their best now.

D) The woman helped the man choose the fruit.

4 A) They ask for an extension of the deadline.

B) They work on the assignment together.

C) They choose an easier assignment.

D) They join the physics club.

5 A) She believes Jean was rude to Dr. Brown

B) She will talk to Jean about what happened

C) She thinks Dr. Brown deserves the praise

D) She admires Jean’s straightforwardness

6 A) He liked writing when he was a child

B) He became well known at the age of six

C) He used to be an editor of Reader’s Digest

D) He enjoyed reading stories in Reader’s Digest

7 A) He shows great enthusiasm for his studies

B) He does not study hard enough

C) He is a very versatile person

D) He has no talent for tennis

8 A) The train that John is taking will arrive soon

B) There are several railway stations in the city

C) John has lost something at the railway station

D) It will be very difficult for them to find John

9 A) It will continue to surge forward

B) Its rapid growth is beneficial to the world

C) It can be seen as a model by the rest of the world

D) Its success can’t be explained by elementary economics

10 A) The new apartments can accommodate 500 students

B) The new apartments are not available until next month

C) Most students can’t afford to live in the new apartments

D) It takes only 5 minutes to reach the campus from the apartments

Section B

11 A) The need for greater cultural diversity in the school curriculum

B) The role of immigrants in the construction of American society

C) The importance of offering diverse courses in European history

D) The historic landing of Europeans on the Virginia shore

12 A) He believed the speaker was a foreigner

B) He wanted to keep their conversation going

C) He was trying to show friendliness to the speaker

D) He was wondering if the speaker was used to living in America

13 A) Americans are in need of education in their history

B) Colored people are not welcome in the United States

C) Asian tourists can speak English as well as native speakers of the language

D) The US population doesn’t consist of white European descendants only

14 A) By enforcing discipline

B) By educating the public

C) By making laws

D) By holding ceremonies

15 A) It should be raised by soldiers

B) It should be raised quickly by hand

C) It should be raised by mechanical means

D) It should be raised only by Americans

16 A) It should be spread over the object to be unveiled

B) It should be hung from the top of the monument

C) It should be carried high up in the air

D) It should be attached to the status

17 A) There are precise regulations and customs to be followed

B) There has been a lot of controversy over the use of flag

C) The best athletes can wear uniforms with the design of the flag

D) Americans can print the flag on their cushions or handkerchiefs

Passage Three

18 A) Illness B) Truancy

C) Punishment by teachers

D) Poor academic performance

19 A) Principals of city schools

B) The Board of Education

C) Students with good attendance records

D) Students with good academic records

20 A) Cutting the budget for repairs and replacements

B) Punishing students who damage school property

C) Promoting teachers who can prevent the destruction

D) Rewarding schools that have decreased the destruction

Passage one

Questions 21 to 25 are based on the following passage.

Ask most people how they define the American Dream and chances are they’ll say, “Success.” The dream of individual opportunity has been home in American since Europeans discovered a “new world” in the Western Hemisphere. Early immigrants like Hector St. Jean de Crevecoeur praised highly the freedom and opportunity to be found in this new land. His glowing descriptions of a classless society where anyone could attain success through honesty and hard work fired the imaginations of many European readers: in Letters from an American Farmer (1782) he wrote. “We are all excited at the spirit of an industry which is unfettered (无拘无束的) and unrestrained, because each person works for himself … We have no princes, for whom we toil (干苦力活),starve, and bleed: we are the most perfect society now existing in the world.” The promise of a land where “the rewards of a man’s industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labor” drew poor immigrants from Europe and fueled national expansion into the western territories.

Our national mythology (神化) is full of illustration the American success story. There’s Benjamin Franklin, the very model of the self-educated, self-made man, who rose from modest origins to become a well-known scientist, philosopher, and statesman. In the nineteenth century, Horatio Alger, a writer of fiction for young boys, became American’s best-selling author with rags-to-riches tales. The notion of success haunts us: we spend million every year reading about the rich and famous, learning how to “make a fortune in real estate with no money down,” and “dressing for success.” The myth of success has even invaded our personal relationships: today it’s as important to be “successful” in marriage or parenthoods as it is to come out on top in business.

But dreams easily turn into nightmares. Every American who hopes to “make it” also knows the fear of failure, because the myth of success inevitably implies comparison between the haves and the have-nots, the stars and the anonymous crowd. Under pressure of the myth, we become indulged in status symbols: we try to live in the “right” neighborhoods, wear the “right” clothes, eat the “right” foods. These symbols of distinction assure us and others that we believe strongly in the fundamental equality of all, yet strive as hard as we can to separate ourselves from our fellow citizens.

21. What is the essence of the American Dream according to Crevecoeur?

A) People who are honest and work hard can succeed.

B) People are free from exploitation and oppression.

C) People can fully enjoy individual freedom.

D) People are free to develop their power of imagination.

22.By saying “the rewards of a man’s industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labor” (Line 10, Para. 1), the author means __________ .

A) a company’s success depends on its employees’ hard work

B) a man’s business should be developed step by step

C) laborious work ensures the growth of an industry

D) the more diligent one is, the bigger his returns

23. The characters described in Horatio Alger’s novels are people who _______.

A) became famous despite their modest origins

B) became wealthy after starting life very poor

C) succeed in real estate investment

D) earned enormous fortunes by chances

24. It can be inferred from the last sentence of the second paragraph that _________.

A) Americans wish to succeed in every aspect of life

B) good personal relationships lead to business success

C) business success often contributes to a successful marriage

D) successful business people provide good care for their children

25. What is the paradox of American culture according to the author?

A) Status symbols are not a real indicator of a person’s wealth.

B) The American Dream is nothing but an empty dream.

C) The American road to success is full of nightmares.

D) What Americans strive after often contradicts their beliefs.

Passage Two

Questions 26 to 30 are based on the following passage.

In many ways, today’s business environment has changed qualitatively since the late 1980s. The end of the Cold War radically altered the very nature of the world’s politics and economics. In just a few short years, globalization has started a variety of trends with profound consequences: the opening of markets, true global competition, widespread deregulation (解除政府对……的控制) of industry, and an abundance of accessible capital. We have experienced both the benefits and risks of a truly global economy, with both Wall Street and Main Street (平民百姓) feeling the pains of economic disorder half a world away.

At the same time, we have fully entered the Information Age, Starting breakthroughs in information technology have irreversibly altered the ability to conduct business unconstrained by the traditional limitations of time or space. Today, it’s almost impossible to imagine a world without intranets, e-mail, and portable computers. With stunning speed, the Internet is profoundly changing the way we work, shop, do business, and communicate.

As a consequence, we have truly entered the Post-Industrial economy. We are rapidly shifting from an economy based on manufacturing and commodities to one that places the greatest value on information, services, support, and distribution. That shift, in turn, place an unprecedented premium on “knowledge workers,” a new class of wealthy, educated, and mobile people who view themselves as free agents in a seller’s market.

Beyond the realm of information technology, the accelerated pace of technological change in virtually every industry has created entirely new business, wiped out others, and produced a Pervasive( 广泛的) demand for continuous innovation. New product, process ,and distribution technologies provide powerful levers for creating competitive value. More companies are learning the importance of destructive technologies-----innovations that hold the potential to make a product line, or even an entire business segment, virtually outdated.

Another major trend has been the fragmentation of consumer and business markets. There’s a growing appreciation that superficially similar groups of customers may have very different preferences in terms of what they want to buy and how they want to buy it. Now, new technology makes it easier, faster ,and cheaper to identify and serve targeted micro-markets in ways that were physically impossible or prohibitively expensive in the past. Moreover, the trend feeds on itself, a business’s ability to serve sub-markets fuels customers’ appetites for more and more specialized offerings.

26. According to the first paragraph, the chances in the business environment in the past decades can be attributed to __________.

A) technological advances

B) the fierce competition in industry

C) the globalization of economy

D) worldwide economic disorder

27. what idea does the author want to convey in the second paragraph ?

A) The rapid development of information technology has taken businessmen by surprise

B) Information technology has removed the restrictions of time and space in business transactions

C) The way we do business today has brought about startling breakthroughs in information technology.

D) The Internet, intranets, e-mail, and portable computers have penetrated every corner of the world.

28. If a business wants to thrive in the Post-Industrial economy,__________

A) it should not overlook the importance of information, services, support, and distribution

B) it has to invest more capital in the training of free agents to operate in a seller’s market

C) it should try its best to satisfy the increasing demands of mobile knowledgeable people

D) it has to provide each of its employees with the latest information about the changing market

29. In the author’s view, destructive technologies are innovations which _________

A) may destroy the potential of a company to make any profit

B) can eliminate an entire business segment

C) demand a radical change in providing services

D) call for continuous improvement in ways of doing business

30. With the fragmentation of consumer and business markets ______________

A) manufacturers must focus on one special product to remain competitive in the market

B) it is physically impossible and prohibitively expensive to do business in the old way

C) an increasing number of companies have disintegrated

D) businesses have to meet individual customers’ specific needs in order to succeed .

Passage Three

Questions 31 to 35 are based on the following passage.

Too many vulnerable child-free adults are being ruthlessly(无情的)manipulated into parent-hood by their parents , who think that happiness among older people depends on having a grand-child to spoil. We need an organization to help beat down the persistent campaigns of grandchildless parents. It’s time to establish Planned Grandparenthood, which would have many global and local benefits.

Part of its mission would be to promote the risks and realities associated with being a grandparent. The staff would include depressed grandparents who would explain how grandkids break lamps, bite, scream and kick. Others would detail how an hour of baby-sitting often turns into a crying marathon. More grandparents would testify that they had to pay for their grandchild’s expensive college education.

Planned grandparenthood’s carefully written literature would detail all the joys of life grand-child-free a calm living room, extra money for luxuries during the golden years, etc. Potential grandparents would be reminded that, without grandchildren around, it’s possible to have a conversation with your kids, who----incidentally-----would have more time for their own parents .

Meanwhile, most children are vulnerable to the enormous influence exerted by grandchildless parents aiming to persuade their kids to produce children . They will take a call from a persistent parent, even if they’re loaded with works. In addition, some parents make handsome money offers payable upon the grandchild’s birth. Sometimes these gifts not only cover expenses associated with the infant’s birth, but extras, too, like a vacation. In any case, cash gifts can weaken the resolve of even the noblest person.

At Planned Grandparenthood, children targeted by their parents to reproduce could obtain non-biased information about the insanity of having their own kids. The catastrophic psychological and economic costs of childbearing would be emphasized. The symptoms of morning sickness would be listed and horrors of childbirth pictured. A monthly newsletter would contain stories about overwhelmed parents and offer guidance on how childless adults can respond to the different lobbying tactics that would-be grandparents employ.

When I think about all the problems of our overpopulated world and look at our boy grabbing at the lamp by the sofa, I wish I could have turned to Planned Grandparenthood when my parents were putting the grandchild squeeze on me.

If I could have, I might not be in this parenthood predicament( 窘境) . But here’s the crazy irony, I don’t want my child-free life back . Dylan’s too much fun.

31. What’s the purpose of the proposed organization Planned Grandparenthood?

A)To discourage people from insisting on having grandchildren.

B) To offer counseling to people on how to raise grandchildren.

C)To provide facilities and services for grandchildless parents.

D) to encourage childless couples to have children

32. Planned Grandparenthood would include depressed grandparents on its staff in order to_.

A) share their experience in raising grandchildren in a more scientific way

B) draw attention to the troubles and difficulties grandchildren may cause

C) help raise funds to cover the high expense of education for grandchildren

D) show them the joys of life grandparents may have in raising grandchildren

33. According to the passage, some couples may eventually choose to have children because____.

A) they have learn from other parents about the joys of having children

B) they feel more and more lonely ad they grow older

C) they have found it irrational to remain childless

D) they find it hard to resist the carrot-and-stick approach of their parents

34.By saying “… my parents were putting the grandchild squeeze on me” (Line 2-3,Para. 6), the

author means that _________.

A) her parents asked her to save for the expenses of raising a child

B) her parents kept pressuring her to have a child

C) her parents liked to have a grandchild in their arms

D) her parents kept blaming her for her child’s bad behavior

35.What does the author really of the idea of having children?

A) It contributes to overpopulation. It does more harm than good.

B) It is a psychological catastrophe

C) It is troublesome but rewarding.

D) It does more harm than good.

Passage Four

Questions 36 to 40 are based on the following passage.

Public distrust of scientists stems in part from the blurring of boundaries between science and technology, between discovery and manufacture. Most government, perhaps all governments, justify public expenditure on scientific research in terms of the economic benefits the scientific enterprise ha brought in the past and will bring in the future. Politicians remind their voters of the splendid machines ‘our scientists’ have invented, the new drugs to relieve old ailments (病痛), and the new surgical equipment and techniques by which previously intractable (难治疗的) conditions may now be treated and lives saved. At the same time, the politicians demand of scientists that they tailor their research to ‘economics needs’, that they award a higher priority to research proposals that are ‘near the market’ and can be translated into the greatest return on investment in the shortest time. Dependent, as they are, on politicians for much of their funding, scientists have little choice but to comply. Like the rest of us, they are members of a society that rates the creation of wealth as the greatest possible good. Many have reservations, but keep them to themselves in what they perceive as a climate hostile to the pursuit of understanding for its own sake and the idea of an inquiring, creative spirit.

In such circumstances no one should be too hard on people who are suspicious of conflicts of interest. When we learn that the distinguished professor assuring us of the safety of a particular product holds a consultancy with the company making it, we cannot be blamed for wondering whether his fee might conceivably cloud his professional judgment. Even if the professor holds no consultancy with any firm, some people many still distrust him because of his association with those who do, or at least wonder about the source of some his research funding.

This attitude can have damaging effects. It questions the integrity of individuals working in a profession that prizes intellectual honesty as the supreme virtue, and plays into the hands of those who would like to discredit scientists by representing then a venal (可以收买的). This makes it easier to dismiss all scientific pronouncements, but especially those made by the scientists who present themselves as ‘experts’. The scientist most likely to understand the safety of a nuclear reactor, for example, is a nuclear engineer declares that a reactor is unsafe, we believe him, because clearly it is not to his advantage to lie about it. If he tells us it is safe, on the other hand, we distrust him, because he may well be protecting the employer who pays his salary.

36. What is the chief concern of most governments when it comes to scientific research?

A) Quick economics returns.

B) Support from the votes.

C) The budget for a research project.

D) the reduction of public expenditure

37. Scientist have to adapt their research to ‘economic needs’ in order to _________ .

A) translate knowledge into wealth

B) obtain funding from the government

C) pursue knowledge for knowledge’s sake

D) impress the public with their achievements

38. Why won’t scientists complain about the government’s policy concerning scientific research?

A) They know it takes patience to win support from the public.

B) They are accustomed to keeping their opinions to themselves.

C) They think they work in an environment hostile to the free pursuit of knowledge.

D) They think compliance with government policy is in the interests of the public.

39. According to the author, people are suspicious of the professional judgment of scientists because ___________ .

A) sometimes they hide the source of their research funding

B) some of them do not give priority to intellectual honesty

C) their pronouncements often turn out to be wrong

D) they could be influenced by their association with the project concerned

40. Why does the author say that public distrust of scientists can have damaging effects?

A) It may dampen the enthusiasm of scientists for independent research.

B) It makes things difficult for scientists seeking research funds.

C) People would not believe scientists even when they tell the truth.

D) Scientists themselves may doubt the value of their research findings.

41. You shouldn’t __your father’s instructions. Anyway he is an experienced teacher.

A) defy B) deliberate C)denounce D) deduce

42. In some remote places there are still very poor people who can’t afford to live in __conditions.

A) positive B)honorable C) gracious D) decent

43. The Government’s policies will come under close __ in the weeks before the election.

A) specification B)scrutiny C) appreciation D)apprehension

44. It is believed that the feeding patterns parents __ on their children can determine their adolescent and adult eating habits.

A) impose B)evoke C) compel D)necessitate

45.Very few people could understand his lecture because the subject was very __.

A) faint B) indefinite C)obscure D) gloomy

46. Tom is bankrupt now. He is desperate because all his efforts __ failure.

A) inflicted on B) hinged upon C) tumbled to D)culminated in

47. Cancer is a group of diseases in which there is uncontrolled and disordered growth of __ cells.

A) controversial B) abnormal C) inferior D)irrelevant

48.I could hear nothing but the roar of the airplane engines which __all other sounds.

A) drowned B) deafened C) overturned D)smoothed

49. The girl’s face __________ with embarrassment during the interview when she couldn’t answer the tough question.

A) radiated B) beamed C) dazzled D) flushed

50. Unfortunately, the new edition of dictionary is __________ in all major bookshops.

A) out of business B) out of reach C) out of stock D) out of season

51. It seems somewhat _______to expect anyone to drive 3 hours just for a 20-minute meeting.

A) unique B) impossible C) eccentric D) absurd

52. The bride and groom promised to __ each other through sickness and health.

A) cherish B)nourish C)foster D) nominate

53.If the value-added tax were done away with, it would act as a __ to consumption.

A) progression B) prime C) stimulus D) stability

54. Professor Smith explained the movement of light__ that of water.

A) by virtue of B)by analogy with C) in terms of D) in line with

55. Millions of people around the world have some type of physical, mental, or emotional __ that severely limits their abilities to manage their daily activities.

A) scandal B)deficit C)handicap D) misfortune

56.At that time, the economy was still undergoing a __and job offers were hard to get.

A) recession B)concession C)supervision D)deviation

57. The meaning of the sentence is __; you can interpret it in several ways.

A) skeptical B) exclusive C) intelligible D)ambiguous

58. This area of the park has been specially _______for children, but accompanying adults are also welcome.

A)entitled B) inaugurated C) designated D) delegated

59. The hands on my alarm clock are __________, so I can see what time it is in the dark.

A) gorgeous B) luminous C) spectacular D) exotic

60. In today’s class, the students were asked to __their mistakes on the exam paper and put in their possible corrections.

A) omit B) extinguish C) cancel D)erase

61. The company management attempted to __information that was not favorable to them, but it was all in vain.

A) supplement B) suppress C) plug D) concentrate

62. While fashion is thought of usually __ clothing, it is important to realize that it covers a much wider domain.

A) in proportion to B) by means of C) in relation to D)on behalf of

63. Slavery was _______in Canada in 1833, and Canadian authorities encouraged the slaves, who escaped from America, to settle on its vast virgin land

A) abolished B) resigned C) diluted D) dissipated

64. Psychologists have done extensive studies on how well patients _____with doctors’ orders.

A) comply B) correspond C) interact D) interfere

65. Since our knowledge is __ none of us can exclude the possibility of being wrong.

A) delicate B )restrained C) controlled D) finite

66. The boy’s foolish question __his mother who was busy with housework and had no interest in talking.

A) intrigued B) irritated C) stimulated D) fascinated

67. They’re going to build a big office block on that __ piece of land.

A) void B) blank C) vacant D)shallow

68. It is my hope that everyone in this class should __ their errors before it is too late.

A) expel B) exclude C) refute D)rectify

69. Police and villagers unanimously __the forest fire to thunder and lightning.

A) ascribed B) approached C) confined D) confirmed

70. Without any hesitation, she took off her shoes, __up her skirt and splashed across the stream.

A) twisted B) tucked C) curled D)revolved

Every week hundreds of CVs(简历) land on our desks.

We’ve seen it all: CVs printed on pink paper, CVs that are 10

pages long and CVs with silly mistakes in first paragraph. A S1 _____________

good CV is your passport to an interview and ,ultimate , to S2______________

the job you want Initial impressions are vital, and a badly presented CV

could mean acceptance, regardless of what’s in it. S3______________

Here are a few ways to avoid end up on the reject pile. S4______________

Print your CV on good-quality white paper.

CVs with flowery backgrounds or pink paper will

stand out upon all the wrong reasons S5_______________

Get someone to check for spelling and grammatical

errors, because a spell-checker will pick up every S6_______________

mistake. CVs with errors will be rejected-it shows

that you don’t pay attention to detail.

Restrict your self to one or two pages, and

listing any publications or referees on a separate sheet. S7_______________

If you are sending your CV electronically, check the

formatting by sending it to yourself first. keep up S8______________

the format simple.

Do not send a photo unless specifically requested. If

you have to send on ,make sure it is one taking in a S9_____________

professional setting, rather than a holiday snap.

Getting the presentation right is just the first step. What

about the content? The Rule here is to keep it factual and

Truthful-exaggerations usually get find out. And remember S10____________

to tailor your CV to each different job.

1、 对公司提供职位表示感谢

2、 解释为何不能接受所提供的职位

3、 希望给与谅解,并表达对公司的良好祝愿

A Letter Declining a Job Offer

B卷答案:
  Part I Listening Comprehension(20 minutes)

Section A

1. C) Dr. Holden is the best person for the chairmanship.

2. D) They’ll keep in touch during the summer vacation

3. C) Peaches are not at their best now.

4. B) They work on the assignment together.

5. D) She admires Jean’s straightforwardness

6. A) He liked writing when he was a child

7. B) He does not study hard enough

8. D) It will be very difficult for them to find John

9. B) Its rapid growth is beneficial to the world

10. C) Most students can’t afford to live in the new apartments

Section B

Passage One

11. A) The need for greater cultural diversity in the school curriculum

12. A) He believed the speaker was a foreigner

13. D) The US population doesn’t consist of white European descendants only

Passage Two

14. C) By making laws

15. B) It should be raised quickly by hand

16. C) It should be carried high up in the air

17. A) There are precise regulations and customs to be followed

Passage Three

18. B) Truancy

19. D) Students with good attendance records

20. D) Rewarding schools that have decreased the destruction

Passage one

21. C) People can fully enjoy individual freedom.

22. D) the more diligent one is, the bigger his returns

23. B) became wealthy after starting life very poor

24. A) Americans wish to succeed in every aspect of life

25. D) What Americans strive after often contradicts their beliefs.

Passage two

26. C) the globalization of economy

27. B) Information technology has removed the restrictions of time and space in business transactions

28. A) it should not overlook the importance of information, services, support, and distribution

29. B) can eliminate an entire business segment

30. D) businesses have to meet individual customers’ specific needs in order to succeed

Passage Three

31.A) To discourage people from insisting on having grandchildren.

32. B) draw attention to the troubles and difficulties grandchildren may cause

33. D) they find it hard to resist the carrot-and-stick approach of their parents

34. D) her parents kept pressuring her to have a child

35. C) It is troublesome but rewarding.

Passage four

36. D) The reduction of public expenditure.

37. B) obtain funding from the government

38. C) They think they work in an environment hostile to the free pursuit of knowledge.

39. D) they could be influenced by their association with the project concerned

40. C) People would not believe scientists even when they tell the truth.

41. A) defy

42. D) decent

43. B) scrutiny

44. A) impose

45. C) obscure

46. B) hinged upon

47. B) abnormal

48. B) deafened

49. D) flushed

50. C) out of stock

51. D) absurd

52. A) cherish

53. C) stimulus

54. B) by analogy with

55. B) deficit

56. A) recession

57. B) exclusive

58. A) entitled

59. B) luminous

60. D) erase

61. B) suppress

62. B) by means of

63. A) abolished

64. A) comply

65. D) finite

66. B) irritated

67. B) blank

68. D) rectify

69. A) ascribed

70. B) tucked

S1. in first 改 in the first

S2.ultimate 改ultimately

S3. acceptance 改unacceptance

S4.avoid end 改 ending

S5.stand out 改 upon

S6.pick up改 pick out

S7.listing改 list

S8.keep up改 keep

S9.taking 改 taken

S10.get find改 get found

1、对公司提供职位表示感谢

2、解释为何不能接受所提供的职位

3、希望给与谅解,并表达对公司的良好祝愿

范文

A letter Declining a Job Offer

Dec. 24th

Dear Managers,

I am very grateful for you to give me another job in the company. Thinking about the good opportunity you offer to me each time, I am really moved. What words should I say? It seems that words on this special occasion fail to express me. All in all, I just want to say "many many thanks for all your kindness and consideration."

However , I can not accept the job you offer to me. I think, there are at least three personal reasons for this. First, I can not make full use of my major which I learned at college, though you pay much attention to me. Second, I have a habit to challenge myself . If a job or learning seems to lose the meaning of challenge, I will have to quit and find a challenging one for me. Third, I am not used to working in the same place for a long time. I want to have more working experiences and know a lot of different people. Therefore, I can not accept your offer .

Above all, I also want to express my deep appreciation of your understanding of my decision. I think there are other qualified personnel in our company who you should give a chance. If each potential employee in our company can have a chance to prove themselves for our company, I think, the company will become a more and more competitive company and will become more and more popular because of our smart strategy in employing qualified workers. I wish the bright future for our company.

Best wishes for you all !

Yours sincerely,

Tom
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|天山云海

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 21:39 , Processed in 0.019726 second(s), 5 queries , APCu On.